Day 159: Block 1 - Neuroscience

Today's inane image of the day:

This is our Neuroscience block textbook -- note it's misleading size.
I've been waiting for the right moment to finally fill everyone in on how the first block course is going so far and I think that time has come. Keep in mind that this Neuroscience block is not a good representation of what the rest of our blocks will be like because we lost our original course director [as of halfway through winter break] and the Neurosurgery department quite graciously stepped in to save the day with only a week and a half of planning time. Not quite sure about the details on the old course director [nor is it my place to dig for this information], but the situation was out of the school's control and at this point I'm happy that we have a Neuroscience course at all.

Bearing in mind the situation, it follows logically that things are a bit disorganized. As it is, Neuroscience is difficult to learn - there are an endless number of obscure terms, pathways described in these obscure terms and nuances that define these pathways described in obscure terms. Add this reality to the fact that scientists/physicians have barely scratched the surface of understanding exactly why, how and what this fascinating organ can do... and you have one extremely difficult course to teach, even without the added pressure of organizing how to teach it all.

The preclinical years of medical school are like taking a super-accelerated language course [with a bunch of extra stuff appended to it]. It makes sense that we need to learn the definitions of basic terms before we can go ahead and try to conjugate them in practice. But if one day the professor walks into class and only speaks in this new language that some of us have not yet acquired... well, let's say that I felt a couple gray hairs sprout this last week.

We are lucky to have such a phenomenal group of lecturers [they are neurosurgeons!] [not so sure we have a McDreamy, though...], but some are definitely better teachers than others.

Another issue that has come up is just not knowing how to prepare for these lectures. I was studying the Histology, Pharmacology and even Embryology lectures and neglecting the Neuroscience ones because I felt lost. Furthermore, we haven't been getting the lectures ahead of time so trying to preview the session material has been a bit like a guessing game -- sure, we knew we were looking at the Ascending Tracts [great resource!] for our second lecture... but our textbook doesn't get into that particular subject until Chapter 6, so I had to choose if I wanted to read Chapters 1-5 first OR skip to Chapter 6 [remember that whole limited amount of time to study thing leads to trade-offs]. I decided to try to read 1-5 first, but didn't get very far prior to lecture and felt like a fish out of water while the professor was speaking [though he showed us some awesome clips and clinical material].

After forcing myself to read at least to Chapter 6 [after the lecture] and discussing some of the concepts with a classmate, I feel slightly better about trying to attack this beast, but I have a lot of a catching up to do this weekend [although the book is bite-sized and less than 300 pages, just trying to understand one page can take an hour... or two].

The most ironic part about all of this is that when I was younger I always dreamt of becoming a neurosurgeon. This fantasy was quickly shattered when I discovered that I might already be going through menopause by the time I finish residency [just kidding, but it's a long residency] and after taking a neuroscience summer program, it was clear that the subject didn't interest me as much as I thought it would. And now that I'm in the course, I can pretty safely eliminate neurology and neurosurgery from my list of desired specialties.

As for other updates... I think I've settled into an idea for my Capstone project, learned how to suture/intubate/do an ultrasound [thanks to the Emergency Medicine Interest Group!], am looking into anesthesiology again [thanks to the Anesthesiology Interest Group] and am semi-stressed about trying to get our AMWA members down to Miami for the Annual Conference in April. Oh and our midterm exam is a week from Monday.

Happy weekend, everyone! I hope you all have more exciting plans than me... haha. =)

Labels: ,

And thus, it begins: Day 159: Block 1 - Neuroscience

Friday, January 20, 2012

Day 159: Block 1 - Neuroscience

Today's inane image of the day:

This is our Neuroscience block textbook -- note it's misleading size.
I've been waiting for the right moment to finally fill everyone in on how the first block course is going so far and I think that time has come. Keep in mind that this Neuroscience block is not a good representation of what the rest of our blocks will be like because we lost our original course director [as of halfway through winter break] and the Neurosurgery department quite graciously stepped in to save the day with only a week and a half of planning time. Not quite sure about the details on the old course director [nor is it my place to dig for this information], but the situation was out of the school's control and at this point I'm happy that we have a Neuroscience course at all.

Bearing in mind the situation, it follows logically that things are a bit disorganized. As it is, Neuroscience is difficult to learn - there are an endless number of obscure terms, pathways described in these obscure terms and nuances that define these pathways described in obscure terms. Add this reality to the fact that scientists/physicians have barely scratched the surface of understanding exactly why, how and what this fascinating organ can do... and you have one extremely difficult course to teach, even without the added pressure of organizing how to teach it all.

The preclinical years of medical school are like taking a super-accelerated language course [with a bunch of extra stuff appended to it]. It makes sense that we need to learn the definitions of basic terms before we can go ahead and try to conjugate them in practice. But if one day the professor walks into class and only speaks in this new language that some of us have not yet acquired... well, let's say that I felt a couple gray hairs sprout this last week.

We are lucky to have such a phenomenal group of lecturers [they are neurosurgeons!] [not so sure we have a McDreamy, though...], but some are definitely better teachers than others.

Another issue that has come up is just not knowing how to prepare for these lectures. I was studying the Histology, Pharmacology and even Embryology lectures and neglecting the Neuroscience ones because I felt lost. Furthermore, we haven't been getting the lectures ahead of time so trying to preview the session material has been a bit like a guessing game -- sure, we knew we were looking at the Ascending Tracts [great resource!] for our second lecture... but our textbook doesn't get into that particular subject until Chapter 6, so I had to choose if I wanted to read Chapters 1-5 first OR skip to Chapter 6 [remember that whole limited amount of time to study thing leads to trade-offs]. I decided to try to read 1-5 first, but didn't get very far prior to lecture and felt like a fish out of water while the professor was speaking [though he showed us some awesome clips and clinical material].

After forcing myself to read at least to Chapter 6 [after the lecture] and discussing some of the concepts with a classmate, I feel slightly better about trying to attack this beast, but I have a lot of a catching up to do this weekend [although the book is bite-sized and less than 300 pages, just trying to understand one page can take an hour... or two].

The most ironic part about all of this is that when I was younger I always dreamt of becoming a neurosurgeon. This fantasy was quickly shattered when I discovered that I might already be going through menopause by the time I finish residency [just kidding, but it's a long residency] and after taking a neuroscience summer program, it was clear that the subject didn't interest me as much as I thought it would. And now that I'm in the course, I can pretty safely eliminate neurology and neurosurgery from my list of desired specialties.

As for other updates... I think I've settled into an idea for my Capstone project, learned how to suture/intubate/do an ultrasound [thanks to the Emergency Medicine Interest Group!], am looking into anesthesiology again [thanks to the Anesthesiology Interest Group] and am semi-stressed about trying to get our AMWA members down to Miami for the Annual Conference in April. Oh and our midterm exam is a week from Monday.

Happy weekend, everyone! I hope you all have more exciting plans than me... haha. =)

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At October 8, 2012 at 5:46 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

But everything you are accomplishing IS very exciting. I can't think of anything else I would rather do than study the human body and learning how amazing we all are :) Nothing is more exciting than that. You begin to believe that, truly believe it, you will pass everything with flying colors. Attitude is everything when you are learning :) Enthusiasm and fascination with your subject is essential <3 Best of luck.

 
At October 8, 2012 at 5:51 PM , Blogger //.amanda.eleven. said...

I maintain that I love medicine and that overall I love the material we are learning.

Enthusiasm and fascination with a subject does indeed lend to success, however sometimes I find that medical school is structured in such a way that it's hard to maintain a sense of wonder and excitement throughout the preclinical years.

Thank you for stopping by and commenting!

 
At October 8, 2012 at 6:36 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

I can certainly understand that. I had amazing professors, who made the classes fascinating, the material interesting and fun. I do believe the way you receive the information is also crucial, but even without great, fun professors, you have to strive "within" to maintain that enthusiasm. See movies even on you tube which may spark it for you again. Watch some lectures of "more interesting lecturers", it helps, a LOT :) Don't just rely on the college people, find your own ways of waking up and maintaining the excitement. I would hate to lose someone great in the student years because the people teaching them are dull LOL I did have a couple of those too. It's up to you :)

Sorry to stick my nose in, but I believe you have it in you still, you just have the wrong people teaching you. Don't let the spark go out. We as Human Beings are amazing creatures and it's worth finding out everything about us.

The brain is the most fascinating of all, without your brain functioning well, your heart would not beat, your arms would not move, it is amazing! YOU CAN DO IT and you will :)

 
At October 8, 2012 at 6:43 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

P.S. Don't focus on the time you still have ahead of you. Never think that far ahead, it is very easy to get discouraged and overwhelmed when you do that, mainly focus on your classes "test to test" class to class, pay attention, take notes... It makes it much easier. You will also find that when you go through school from test to test and you Ace the individual tests one at a time, you will NOT have such a hard time during the final exams :) The finals are a recap of what you have done over the school year. Hope this helps :)

 
At October 10, 2012 at 5:04 PM , Blogger //.amanda.eleven. said...

Indeed focusing on the present, here and now, does make life easier. I've been working on trying to maintain this type of mindset [as opposed to my natural state of planning 10+ years into the future!]. Either way, I appreciate all of your kind words of support - thank you.

 

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated -- they will appear once I deem them appropriate. Play nice and please keep your language professional! If you have a question, go ahead and ask here. I'll either respond in a future post or in a comment following yours. Please ask your medical provider for all of your personal medical questions -- after all, I haven't even finished medical school yet!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home