Day 35: Updates and link love

Today's inane images of the day:

A successful kick-off AMWA Dinner With Dr. Nuzzarello!
A beautiful sunset in Pasadena [this was taken from the top floor of a parking deck].
Pasadena night life.

This last week following the Renal and Urinary exam has probably been my most stressful one to date because 1) our Anatomy practical examination grades were held until Thursday afternoon and I was scared about failing 2) I neglected all of my other commitments [i.e. AMWA] to study for the exam and felt overwhelmed by having to play catch-up 3) we didn't get a break Tuesday morning after the exam - nope, we started class at 7:30AM and went until 3PM. All of these things combined made for a very painful week.

Last weekend while I was studying, I felt empty and well, depressed... so I planned a couple of things to look forward to. One of these things was a weekend trip to visit Mike [as you can see from the photos of Pasadena] - albeit short, it was wonderful and worth the money and fatigue from traveling. Currently, I'm writing this from LAX, awaiting my flight back to Detroit [did you know there was free WiFi in LAX?! I've totally been missing out...].

--

Have you noticed my rather sporadic posting schedule? Well... that's because all of my blogging juices have been directed toward my weekly Kaplan medical blog entries and the newest addition - The Differential. Here are some recent entries I wrote:
Also, the Oakland Post featured me and this blog in their last issue! Check it out here.

Time to pack up and pack into the plane...

And thus, it begins: Day 35: Updates and link love

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Day 35: Updates and link love

Today's inane images of the day:

A successful kick-off AMWA Dinner With Dr. Nuzzarello!
A beautiful sunset in Pasadena [this was taken from the top floor of a parking deck].
Pasadena night life.

This last week following the Renal and Urinary exam has probably been my most stressful one to date because 1) our Anatomy practical examination grades were held until Thursday afternoon and I was scared about failing 2) I neglected all of my other commitments [i.e. AMWA] to study for the exam and felt overwhelmed by having to play catch-up 3) we didn't get a break Tuesday morning after the exam - nope, we started class at 7:30AM and went until 3PM. All of these things combined made for a very painful week.

Last weekend while I was studying, I felt empty and well, depressed... so I planned a couple of things to look forward to. One of these things was a weekend trip to visit Mike [as you can see from the photos of Pasadena] - albeit short, it was wonderful and worth the money and fatigue from traveling. Currently, I'm writing this from LAX, awaiting my flight back to Detroit [did you know there was free WiFi in LAX?! I've totally been missing out...].

--

Have you noticed my rather sporadic posting schedule? Well... that's because all of my blogging juices have been directed toward my weekly Kaplan medical blog entries and the newest addition - The Differential. Here are some recent entries I wrote:
Also, the Oakland Post featured me and this blog in their last issue! Check it out here.

Time to pack up and pack into the plane...

6 Comments:

At September 16, 2012 at 6:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hope you had a fun trip! Does OU WB give you sufficient financial aid to cover things like travel to CA?

 
At September 16, 2012 at 9:34 PM , Blogger //.amanda.eleven. said...

The OUWB financial aid package is similar to one you would get anywhere else - having sufficient funds to travel or do other things is mostly dependent on your personal situation [e.g. how frugal you are]. Since I work, I have some extra money coming in.

 
At September 17, 2012 at 7:56 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you think the change in attendance policy is a bait-and-switch? Everyone learns differently.

 
At September 18, 2012 at 6:15 AM , Blogger //.amanda.eleven. said...

I'm not sure I completely understand what you mean by bait-and-switch in this context - but I'll say that I don't think this policy is going anywhere anytime soon. While it may evolve over the years, some form of it will likely still be around.

 
At September 18, 2012 at 5:34 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bait and switch as in when students applied to WBOU, there was no required attendance. Now, students are forced to be in lecture 70% of the time.

 
At September 18, 2012 at 9:56 PM , Blogger //.amanda.eleven. said...

Ah - well when I applied for the inaugural class, they *highly* encouraged us to attend class. The current M1 students may have been caught a bit off-guard since they didn't necessarily know that this policy was going to go into effect until later in the summer. But it is currently being made extremely clear to this cycle of applicants that this policy is in place.

I'd like to reiterate that I don't think administration had any intention of making a policy with our class, but that it was a response to extremely poor attendance. So, no, I don't think this was a bait and switch at all - more like a reaction.

 

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated -- they will appear once I deem them appropriate. Play nice and please keep your language professional! If you have a question, go ahead and ask here. I'll either respond in a future post or in a comment following yours. Please ask your medical provider for all of your personal medical questions -- after all, I haven't even finished medical school yet!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home