Today's inane image of the day:
 |
| Couldn't say no to a photo of more fall colors! |
I apologize for the long hiatus -- examinations this time around were brutal. At this point, I recognize that I was not studying as effectively, nor was I studying the right material, so it was kind of a lose-lose on all fronts. Furthermore, I hate to admit it, but I am still trying to figure out a good way to learn everything.
If you haven't inferred by now, I did very poorly on my BFCP1 Final Exam. While it came as a huge blow to my ego yesterday when I received my score, I knew in the back of my mind what the outcome would be after I walked out of the room on Monday.
After blowing off some steam at the gym, I took care of laptop problems [R, our computer guy, is awesome!], ended up running into Dean Folberg and having an impromptu meeting with him [2 months in, and I still think Dean Folberg is an inspiration], and topped off my day with a uplifting visit from a friend. I'm not sure if there's a delayed reaction coming, but I definitely took the exam news extremely well and have just been focused on moving forward with a new study style.
If you're a current medical student -- how do you study? I have seen many different ways, but I just thought I'd put it out there.
Before I end, I did want to put it out there that I am not sure how I feel about being an engineer prior to medical school [prior to this, I discuss it here]. I am starting to see that there were a lot of basic science courses that I should have taken to help me through this process, but never ended up doing because I had more than enough engineering classes to take in order to graduate. Furthermore, I feel like I was slightly spoiled by the problem solving aspect of engineering -- our exams only required memorization of a formula at most... so memorizing a whole textbook in 4 weeks is proving to be a transition.
Anyway, my updates may be a bit sporadic this week because 1. I need to study, 2. Mike is coming into town, 3. my best friend is coming into town 4. our class President is hosting a dinner for us, 5. I need to catch up on the rest of life [e.g. cleaning...].
Today's medical school fact of the day: The name of the major histocompatibility complex (MHC) in humans is the human leukocyte antigen (HLA). - Immunology lecture slides
** Quote in title from Malcolm Forbes
Labels: BFCP, exam, failure, fall