Day 198: Clerkship track rankings are in

Today's inane images of the day:

A cut out screenshot of our track options for 3rd year clerkships.

A peaceful sunrise from my favorite study room.

Medicine is going to get very real for us in a about four months from now. A couple weeks back, we received an email with the six tracks we could rank. As of yesterday, I submitted my rankings along with the rest of my peers. Now, we wait.

There was a lot of talk about the best way to choose a track or how a specific order would ultimately influence our careers... but I decided to just take a few pieces of advice (e.g. try not to do the speciality you're interested first or last and if you're interested in OB, do surgery before) and combine that with a track that I found to be the most balanced. Hopefully I'll get my first pick, but it won't be the end of the world if I don't.

Some of you might be wondering what specialties I'm interested in. The answer is: I don't know. I have ruled a few subspecialties out based on my experience with the preclinical coursework, however, I also recognize that what we learn and see now doesn't necessarily correlate with what a specialty actually does day-to-day. So, with that... I'm keeping an open mind as I enter 3rd year.

How do they decide on clerkship order in your school? I'm curious since our class is so small and I imagine it's a bit easier for us to rank what we want as well as for administration to determine our final order.

Happy Tuesday!

[Edit: I got my first choice! Woohoo!]

Labels:

And thus, it begins: Day 198: Clerkship track rankings are in

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Day 198: Clerkship track rankings are in

Today's inane images of the day:

A cut out screenshot of our track options for 3rd year clerkships.

A peaceful sunrise from my favorite study room.

Medicine is going to get very real for us in a about four months from now. A couple weeks back, we received an email with the six tracks we could rank. As of yesterday, I submitted my rankings along with the rest of my peers. Now, we wait.

There was a lot of talk about the best way to choose a track or how a specific order would ultimately influence our careers... but I decided to just take a few pieces of advice (e.g. try not to do the speciality you're interested first or last and if you're interested in OB, do surgery before) and combine that with a track that I found to be the most balanced. Hopefully I'll get my first pick, but it won't be the end of the world if I don't.

Some of you might be wondering what specialties I'm interested in. The answer is: I don't know. I have ruled a few subspecialties out based on my experience with the preclinical coursework, however, I also recognize that what we learn and see now doesn't necessarily correlate with what a specialty actually does day-to-day. So, with that... I'm keeping an open mind as I enter 3rd year.

How do they decide on clerkship order in your school? I'm curious since our class is so small and I imagine it's a bit easier for us to rank what we want as well as for administration to determine our final order.

Happy Tuesday!

[Edit: I got my first choice! Woohoo!]

Labels:

4 Comments:

At February 27, 2013 at 9:49 PM , Anonymous Roger said...

Amanda,

May you please tell me what a clerkship is? Thank you!

 
At February 28, 2013 at 5:02 AM , Blogger //.amanda.eleven. said...

Medical schools are divided into preclinical and clinical years - in the preclinical years we do coursework and go to class while in the clinical years, we do clerkships (or rotations) where we spend at least a month on a specific specialty's service and contribute to the healthcare team. Basically, clerkships are structured hospital experiences. I hope this answers your question!

 
At March 5, 2013 at 8:18 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

which track did you pick and why?

 
At March 8, 2013 at 4:14 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda
:)
Glad to know you got your first choice! At this point in my med school, I can totally relate to the medicine-just-got-real thing...it suddenly struck me like a sort of epiphany on my first day on Peds rotation.
I wanted to ask you something too, could you recommend a good textbook on Psych? Where I'm at, Psych is treated really negligently, both by students as well as the teachers. But I find it extremely fascinating...what book(s) for it do you use at OUWB?

 

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated -- they will appear once I deem them appropriate. Play nice and please keep your language professional! If you have a question, go ahead and ask here. I'll either respond in a future post or in a comment following yours. Please ask your medical provider for all of your personal medical questions -- after all, I haven't even finished medical school yet!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home