Day 95: Thick skin

Today's inane images of the day:


My pink backpack has gotten me through many engineering exams, projects, the medical school application process and ~1/4 of medical school - but now it's time for it to retire.
The new backpack - took me forever to finally give in and buy one that was substantially more expensive than my previous ones, but I expect this new baby to last me well past residency.

In my experience with writing this blog and now the Kaplan and Medscape blogs, I've learned that having a thick skin is a basic requirement for publishing anything online. The internet sometimes affords a bit too much free-reign on speech leading to offensive comments and responses that one would never venture to say in real life. I try to only write things that I would say to someone's face, but not everyone subscribes to this mentality.

Recently, I received this comment [on this entry]:

"If you want to be a doctor stop whining about it. You are the problem with the medical world, you should be excited to learn about the human body and passionate to make connections, having to be around people like you sometimes make me question whether I really want to do this or not becuase there are really so many other students like you. Stop letting it make you miserable or atleast stop whining about it, you know its for your own good (and that's why you do it). The people drinking on Friday night will actually hate their lives in a few years, hopefully you still won't."

Yes, I agree that this particular entry was whiny in nature, but how else am I supposed to portray the weekend before big exams? As daisies and sunshine? That I'm just so enthralled with the prospect of cramming sometimes obscure knowledge into my head? Surely, this individual realizes that I am "excited to learn and passionate to make connections," [what does "passionate to make connections" even mean? Passionate about making connections, perhaps?]? And why would someone decide not to do medicine just because of "people like me"? If you're passionate about medicine, I shouldn't be the thing stopping you.

[Aside - I still love the human body and medical school. The reality is that the process is tiring and writing - whining - about it is cathartic.]

The first time this particular comment was posted, it was written with vulgar language that made me laugh aloud [do let your mind wander on this one - it was ridiculous]. Since I've received a number of interesting responses to prior entries, this one didn't bother me too much. But it made me wonder, why would anyone waste their time and energy on this? When I started this blog and received harsh comments, they really stuck with me. I couldn't stop myself from referring back to them and wondering where I went wrong. I wondered how I could produce work worthy enough of these commenters. It was kind of pitiful how personally I took some of those blatant attacks.

But time and experience have taught me well - while I do still cringe at some of the responses I receive, I don't spend weeks agonizing over them. In the end, if someone wants to offer constructive criticism, I appreciate it [yes, that means if you want to tell me that I use the word, "rather" too often and it's driving you nuts, please do]. I've never claimed to be a talented writer or a flawless person - there is always room for improvement and I welcome the feedback. However, attacks are unnecessary and unwelcome. Trolls, please move along.

[Time for me to get back to learning about penises and vaginas - oh, Reproductive unit!]

Links to some of my recent posts on The Differential and Med School Insight:
There are pros to being in a long distance relationship
Reasons to love medical school
It's personal

And thus, it begins: Day 95: Thick skin

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Day 95: Thick skin

Today's inane images of the day:


My pink backpack has gotten me through many engineering exams, projects, the medical school application process and ~1/4 of medical school - but now it's time for it to retire.
The new backpack - took me forever to finally give in and buy one that was substantially more expensive than my previous ones, but I expect this new baby to last me well past residency.

In my experience with writing this blog and now the Kaplan and Medscape blogs, I've learned that having a thick skin is a basic requirement for publishing anything online. The internet sometimes affords a bit too much free-reign on speech leading to offensive comments and responses that one would never venture to say in real life. I try to only write things that I would say to someone's face, but not everyone subscribes to this mentality.

Recently, I received this comment [on this entry]:

"If you want to be a doctor stop whining about it. You are the problem with the medical world, you should be excited to learn about the human body and passionate to make connections, having to be around people like you sometimes make me question whether I really want to do this or not becuase there are really so many other students like you. Stop letting it make you miserable or atleast stop whining about it, you know its for your own good (and that's why you do it). The people drinking on Friday night will actually hate their lives in a few years, hopefully you still won't."

Yes, I agree that this particular entry was whiny in nature, but how else am I supposed to portray the weekend before big exams? As daisies and sunshine? That I'm just so enthralled with the prospect of cramming sometimes obscure knowledge into my head? Surely, this individual realizes that I am "excited to learn and passionate to make connections," [what does "passionate to make connections" even mean? Passionate about making connections, perhaps?]? And why would someone decide not to do medicine just because of "people like me"? If you're passionate about medicine, I shouldn't be the thing stopping you.

[Aside - I still love the human body and medical school. The reality is that the process is tiring and writing - whining - about it is cathartic.]

The first time this particular comment was posted, it was written with vulgar language that made me laugh aloud [do let your mind wander on this one - it was ridiculous]. Since I've received a number of interesting responses to prior entries, this one didn't bother me too much. But it made me wonder, why would anyone waste their time and energy on this? When I started this blog and received harsh comments, they really stuck with me. I couldn't stop myself from referring back to them and wondering where I went wrong. I wondered how I could produce work worthy enough of these commenters. It was kind of pitiful how personally I took some of those blatant attacks.

But time and experience have taught me well - while I do still cringe at some of the responses I receive, I don't spend weeks agonizing over them. In the end, if someone wants to offer constructive criticism, I appreciate it [yes, that means if you want to tell me that I use the word, "rather" too often and it's driving you nuts, please do]. I've never claimed to be a talented writer or a flawless person - there is always room for improvement and I welcome the feedback. However, attacks are unnecessary and unwelcome. Trolls, please move along.

[Time for me to get back to learning about penises and vaginas - oh, Reproductive unit!]

Links to some of my recent posts on The Differential and Med School Insight:
There are pros to being in a long distance relationship
Reasons to love medical school
It's personal

10 Comments:

At November 15, 2012 at 8:55 PM , Blogger Kidney_Boy said...

A couple of months ago I turned off comments. Haven't missed them. Still need the think skin for twitter.

 
At November 15, 2012 at 9:00 PM , Blogger //.amanda.eleven. said...

Most of the comments on this blog are extremely supportive and make me smile. Seeing that I have no control over Kaplan's or Medscape's blog... I just have to learn to handle them.

Twitter is a different beast that might require another layer of armor [who knew 140 characters can be worse than an unlimited number?!].

 
At November 15, 2012 at 10:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

don't listen to the negative people! you are doing a great job. Medicine can be challenging but you are doing excellent. keep up the good work. happy thanksgiving!

 
At November 17, 2012 at 1:45 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amanda--I'm an M1 and med school thus far has been a huge struggle. I discovered your blog several weeks ago, and it's been a huge source of encouragement to me. I think med students often times are good at convincing others that they have everything together, that med school is a breeze, etc., etc., and your blog has really helped me not feel alone in this. Thank you! And I hope you'll keep this blog going right up until you graduate! I check your site almost every day for an update.

 
At November 17, 2012 at 8:06 AM , Blogger //.amanda.eleven. said...

Thank you! And Happy Thanksgiving to you, too. =)

 
At November 17, 2012 at 8:14 AM , Blogger //.amanda.eleven. said...

It warms my heart to hear that my words have been encouraging - I have to agree that med students definitely hide their struggles a bit too well and it concerns those of us that are not sailing along. Anyway, let me know if you have questions or want to hear about anything specific... I think my entries have been a lot of the same and random stuff lately because M2 is a lot of the same as M1 [except we have Step 1... eeek!].

 
At November 21, 2012 at 5:23 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've enjoyed reading your blog about your medical school experiences. I think it is so important you DO have posts that like that (whether they be whiny, depressing, or whatever!), because you are human. As an incoming MS1, it is definitely helpful for me to see another human being's reactions to everything that is medical school so I have a better idea of what I'm going to be dealing with in the near future and beyond. If all your posts were just "sunshine and daisy" posts, then to be honest your blog wouldn't be "real" or worth reading. Your blog was what helped me me going through the application process, and I know it will prove extremely useful as I enter medical school. Keep doing what you're doing, Amanda, ignore the haters and trolls! Happy Thanksgiving!

 
At November 21, 2012 at 6:35 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amanda, I know you are active at OUWB so I was wondering if OUWB was setting up a "host" program for current med students to allow applicants to stay with them during interview day. Later, as classes grow, OUWB alums could allow OUWB students to stay with them during residency interviews.

 
At November 23, 2012 at 10:01 PM , Blogger //.amanda.eleven. said...

I appreciate your support and am glad to hear that you got something out of reading my ramblings. =) Good luck as you enter your first year and do not hesitate to shoot me a message if you ever have questions or just need to vent.

I hope you had a good holiday, too!

 
At November 23, 2012 at 10:03 PM , Blogger //.amanda.eleven. said...

We currently have a host program for interviewees set up. It sounds like you're referring to the creation of an OUWB network of alums that could host residency applicants - definitely a possibility. At this point, our M1 and M2 classes know each other relatively well and should any of us need a place to stay in the future, I'm sure one of my classmates would be happy to help. Thanks for the suggestion - I'll pass it on!

 

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated -- they will appear once I deem them appropriate. Play nice and please keep your language professional! If you have a question, go ahead and ask here. I'll either respond in a future post or in a comment following yours. Please ask your medical provider for all of your personal medical questions -- after all, I haven't even finished medical school yet!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home