Before you go telling me that my first attempt at baking muffins [and yes, it was from scratch] look like biscuits... I assure you that they act like muffins on the inside!
Slightly embarrassing fact: in my 21 years of existence as a female [okay don't get feminist on me here -- I'm all about women's rights and gender equality, but the reality is that females arestill expected to know how to use the kitchen to prepare food and such], I have never baked anything on my own. Sure, I watched my mom when I was a kid and stole some meringue here and there. Oh and I've done that whole boxed brownie thing with my roommates back when I was at Bard College at Simon's Rock. But the actual act of measuring ingredients, mixing them [I actually messed up this part today... no wonder I didn't do well in Chemistry Lab] and putting it all in the oven -- well, that's new territory for me.
Anyway, I thought since cooler weather has settled upon Michigan the last couple of weeks, it was an optimal time to just try baking from scratch. Plus, I was getting bored during certain lectures and found a couple of really healthy recipes for baked goods [pictured above are actually oatmeal muffins with raisins]. Either way, it was time to find a healthy-alternative to those over-processed [and over-priced] baked goods that tempt me at Starbucks each morning/afternoon/evening [I admit -- I'm a Starbucks junkie... sign of a true medical student!].
Despite the biscuit-top-appearance, my "muffins" are quite good -- not too sweet [that's my no. 1 pet peeve of baked goods purchased in the U.S. -- they're always packed with sugar], healthy [oatmeal is good for you!] and satisfying.
Here's the recipe I based them off of: Easy Oatmeal Muffins [modifications: used evaporated milk, brown sugar, 2 egg whites (instead of 1 egg) and added raisins (don't ask for a measurement on that... I just kind of poured them in)]. Next time I'm definitely going to add more raisins, substitute apple sauce for oil [I didn't have applesauce on hand so that didn't happen this time] and maybe experiment with other fruits [mmm dried Michigan cherries].
Today's medical school fact of the day: A recessive genetic mutation causes pyruvate kinase deficiency; it is the 2nd most common genetic deficiency that causes hemolytic anemia. - Biochemistry lecture notes
P.S. 20,000+ pageviews? You make me feel so special!